Govt. of India gives awards to the sportspersons to honour their abilities. National Sports awards are given to those persons who bring laurels for their country and achieve something extraordinary position at international level.
Name of these national sports awards are as follows:
- Arjun Award( The award carries a cash of Rs 5 lakh , medal and Bronze statue of Arjuna)
- Rajiv Khel Ratna Award(It is the highest national sports award introduced by government of India in 1991-1992.The award consist of a medal, scroll of honour, a blazer, tie and cash prize of Rs.7.50 lakh)
- Dronacharya Award( for Coaches)
- Lifetime achievement Award (This award was instituted in 2002 and it carries a cash of Rs. 5 lakh, a plaque and a scroll of honour)
Aims of giving National Awards are
- To give the importance & honour to sports persons
- To motivate sportspersons of different fields to give the best performance in their respective fields
- To improve the performance & standard of sports of the country
- TO spread sports culture throughought the country.